Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Saturday, June 20, 2020

Cookie Jar Therapy For The Soul


Several years ago while working at a factory which stone-washed jeans, I formed the habit of reading a passage fry Bible upon rising each morning. If a verse jumped out at When I returned home that afternoon, I dropped the scrap of paper in the cookie jar. 


By the end of that first summer, I had accumulated nearly a hundred verses in the McCoy smiley-faced cookie jar. When it was full, I quit penning the verses. Instead, I shut my eyes, reached into the cookie jar, felt around for the right paper, and pulled it out. 

During the day between unloading and reloading industrial dryers, I set the timer, then pulled the paper from my pocket. Many times the verses inspired me.


But, I groaned each time I plucked out this verse. “He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin," because the verse seemed to serve as a predictor of the day ahead. This one foretold getting crossways with my spouse or a co-worker.

When I heeded the warning to hold my tongue, I averted trouble. But when I spoke without considering the consequences, well... Let's not get into that.

On the bright side, when I plucked out the verse, “You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed upon You”, or “A cheerful heart does good like medicine, but a sad countenance dries up the bones,” I knew it was going to be a good day.

Starting your day with meditation, prayer, and reading God's word, will bring joy, peace and calm to your spirit. 


Do you have a ritual that seems to be of little significance, but has become a source of emotional and spiritual support? Share in a comment below. We would love to hear from you.

          ***********************************************



Carrie struggles with a drunk and pushes him off the boardwalk. "He's not moving!" She squeals. Big Jim is a force to be reckoned with. In a panic, she hop the next train out of town.
Through a misunderstanding, Carrie lands at the Kramer ranch in Abilene, posing as a mail-order bride. Handsome rancher, Josh Kramer thinks he picked up domestic help for his aunt. But Aunt Em discloses to Carrie that she secretly ordered Josh a bride.
Will Carrie get out the web of deception with her heart still intact? 
https://www.amazon.com/Not-What-Ordered-Laurean-Brooks/dp/194509429X?fbclid=IwAR1g3B-q-fEIqBshNuhcJ9z3FjG22cyrjw5sL9geb17QtZEHpnqHkG5r4Ik#customerReviewshttps://www.amazon.com/Not-What-Ordered-Laurean-Brooks/dp/194509429X?fbclid=IwAR1g3B-q-fEIqBshNuhcJ9z3FjG22cyrjw5sL9geb17QtZEHpnqHkG5r4Ik#customerReviews

6 comments:

  1. I love the cookie jar idea! We have devotionals before dinner. We've also read several books that way. One of our favorites was Ted Dekker's The Way of Love. Now our minister is sending daily devotionals online, so we're really spoiled. They're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail Pallotta, thank you for dropping by. What a wonderful way to study God's Word. Enjoy being spoiled. You deserve it.

      Delete
  2. An inspiring post, thank you. Your story sounds like a fun and intriguing read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by, Gini Rifkin. I'm happy you enjoyed the post and that it is inspiring. May God bless and keep you in the shelter of His arms.

      Delete
  3. I'm feeling kind of lonesome over here. I hope everyone is enjoying this wonderful First Day of Summer and Father's Day Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing a good method of coping with life. Hope you enjoy the rest of the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!