Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Monday, August 12, 2019

Change by Paty Jager

photo by Paty Jager
There are so many quotes and sayings about change. Ones that help with peace of mind, health, how you behave. But I've discovered that change, whether of my own accord or influences out of my control can be a good thing if I have an open mind.

This is what the dictionary says for change as a verb.

Change:
1 a: to make different in some particular- alter
   b: to make radically different: transform
   c: to give a different position, course, or direction to
2 a: to replace with another
   b: to make a shift from one to another- switch
   c: to exchange for an equivalent sum or comparable item
   d: to undergo a modification of
   e: to put  fresh clothes or covering on

As I wrote these, I realized that everyone of them- other than fresh clothes ;) - has happened to me since January of this year. And the amazing thing is I can sit here and even though I am 3 months behind in getting a new book out, I'm calm and not sweating it.

Alter- I have altered my way of thinking about having to get a "product", be it a book, box set, or audio book, out every month. I have a life with more grandchildren living closer and new adventures that keep turning up. I want a life outside of writing. This is something I altered this year.

Transform - It isn't radically different, but I've transformed my process of writing in the last two years and it has helped me to produce books even when, at times, my life feels chaotic.

Different course or direction - I made the conscious decision this year to only write mystery books. It was a relief to be able to focus on one genre, the one I love the most.

To replace with another - that would be the above. I have replaced romance with mystery.

Switch - I switched my way of thinking that I had to be everywhere all the time to be seen. I'm now part of fewer group blogs and I am only doing Facebook for social media and keeping my focus on FB groups who read what I write rather than trying to be involved in everything halfway related to what I write.

To exchange - I have exchanged my FB schmoozing time to doing ads for my books.

Modification - I have modified how I view social media and how I push myself to get books written.

Fresh clothes - Yes I still change my clothes every day! LOL

These changes I've made in my writing life this year have made me a happier, less frantic person and I've been able to relax and enjoy the opportunities that have come my way.

Look at your life and see if you need to make a change or two to make you happier or more fulfilled.


Paty Jager is an award-winning author of 40 novels, 8 novellas, and numerous anthologies of murder mystery and western romance. All her work has Western or Native American elements in them along with hints of humor and engaging characters. Paty and her husband raise alfalfa hay in rural eastern Oregon. Riding horses and battling rattlesnakes, she not only writes the western lifestyle, she lives it.


4 comments:

  1. Well said. This year I'm making changes to my writing schedule. I'm only going to write three (interconnected) novellas. I'm on the last one. Sometimes we need to step back and realize that writing is consuming all our time--and we need to enjoy our lives as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy Ann, Good for you to step back. I have been going full board, shoving books out to keep up with this and that and I'm tired of bellyaching to my hubby and him saying, "I though you enjoyed writing." I do love writing, but when I was pressuring myself to much, it wasn't fun anymore. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Paty, you said everything I've been stewing over for months. I have gotten to a point where I no longer want to research and write day in and day out. Life is short and I would like to enjoy the years I have left without feeling guilty because I'm not constantly pushing myself to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, After two years of pushing myself into a panic mode because I wasn't getting done what I thought I should, I decided to make writing fun again. And in that sense I am writing what I love and putting out books when I get to them. Not on a schedule. I hope this post help take away the guilt and see what you want to do.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!