Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Friday, April 12, 2019

The Birds Are Singing- They Have a Voice by Paty Jager

Have you ever listened to all the different songs, tweets, and twitters from the birds? Each one has their own unique sound. If you listen closely and pay attention, you know which bird is talking or singing by the sound. But there are some birds who mimic others. This makes it harder to determine if it is really one bird or another.

I struggled in the beginning of my writing to understand voice. Everyone talked about finding your voice. Once you found that, your writing would be wonderful and readers would flock to buy your books.

I've gone years writing books and knowing my theme- Justice but not really understanding my voice.

Then a reader/fan/person who has read everything I've ever written made a comment that made sense and I now understand my voice.

She said, "Every book or series you write, you are that character's voice. You completely embody the main characters making each book unique. That's what I like about your writing. "

Because of her comment I sat back and thought, I do immerse myself in my books becoming the main characters and seeing everything through through their eyes, their believes, their culture, what I know of it. I try to be impartial of my own feelings and let the characters do what is "right" to them.

My "voice" is giving each main character their voice to find justice not only for the story but for themselves. I no longer ask myself "What is my voice." I know it is the voice of my characters.

And I'll admit- as hard as I try to keep my own thoughts and beliefs out of their thoughts and words, it does come through. That is also my voice.

Are there any authors you read who you believe have a strong "voice"? And is that why you enjoy their books?

I have a new Gabriel Hawke book. It's book 3, Rattlesnake Brother and while it isn't a romance book there are small elements of romance in it because life would not be life without a little romance entwined with the mystery and murder.

Corrupt officials.
Illegal hunters.
Death to those who dare complain.

Fish and Wildlife State Trooper Gabriel Hawke encounters a hunter with an illegal tag. The name on the tag belongs to the Wallowa County District Attorney and the man holding the tag isn’t the public defender. 
As Hawke digs to find out if the DA is corrupt, the hunter’s body is found. Zeroing in on the DA, Hawke finds he has more suspects than the DA and more deaths than the hunter.


Paty Jager is an award-winning author of 39 novels, 6 novellas, and numerous anthologies of murder mystery and western romance. All her work has Western or Native American elements in them along with hints of humor and engaging characters. Paty and her husband raise alfalfa hay in rural eastern Oregon. Riding horses and battling rattlesnakes, she not only writes the western lifestyle, she lives it.

blog / websiteFacebook / Paty's Posse / Goodreads / Twitter / Pinterest   / Bookbub

2 comments:

  1. You do have a strong voice, Paty. I'm not sure what mine is, but I become the character from whose POV I'm writing that scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline, Thanks! It's funny how I never really saw it for such a long time. It shows in your writing and it's probably true of most writers about the POV. I know one writer who writes Regency and actually talks like back then as she's writing dialogue. She really gets into the characters!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!