Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Sunday, May 20, 2018

Competing For A Cowboy -- Sibling Rivalry


by 
Laurean Brooks

Hello out there, fans of Smart Girls Read Romance blog. I've given considerable thought to what to post this month and finally settled on a topic.  Because it's May, and my favorite TV cowboy will celebrate his birthday on May 30th,  I decided to devote this blog post to him.

Since heart-throb Clint Walker, better known as Cheyenne, arrived on the screen in 1963, my heart has never been quite the same. My sister Jewell and I fought over this handsome, lanky, and muscular cowboy. Every fall, Jewell and I watched for the premieres of new TV Westerns. We would watch the first shows then decide who got to claim which cowboy. We divvied them up equally. This method worked out well with Bonanza, The Virginian, and the other Westerns.

Until . . .Cheyenne Bodie trotted in on a stallion, flashing his crooked grin right at me (Jewell insists he was grinning at her). Alas, our carefully made-up rules flew out the window. One look at this cowboy brought out the competitive spirit in two normally agreeable sisters. Neither of us gave in. When I yelled, “He's mine, I saw him first!” she would yell back, “No, I saw him first!” (Not.)


After weeks of debate that did nothing to settle the matter, we knew the only option was to share Cheyenne. At night, after everyone was in bed, we lay awake in our twin beds and took turns imagining scenarios then relating them, about life in the mid-1800s and our respective courtship with Cheyenne Bodie. Usually, we incorporated silly scenes that sent us both into hysterics.





The trouble was, Mama was a light sleeper. If her bedroom had been anywhere but across the hall, our giggles wouldn't have awakened her. But, with our luck, that's exactly what happened.

She'd yell from her bed, “If you girls don't quieten down and go to sleep, I'm coming in there. And you are NOT going to like it!”

I hate to admit this, but a couple of times she did march across the hall. When she stood over us, between our beds,  pointing her finger at us, we pretended to be fast asleep. It saved us, but my heart beat so loud I was sure she heard it. After, “Okay, this is your last warning!” she swept out of our room and back to hers. Out of sheer terror, we shut our mouths and willed ourselves to fall asleep.

Clint Walker will turn ninety this month. I can't believe how fast the time has flown. I still have the glossy picture of him (from his fan club) in a billfold I carried through junior high. It's even autographed, “Best Wishes.” And for what it's worth, Jewell does NOT have his picture.




Eat your heart out, Sis.

I hope you enjoyed this post. If you did, please leave a comment and tell us who your favorite heart-throb was. Some of us were born decades later, so we will have varying ideas on which guys made the list. Still, 'm sure our blog readers would love to compare our crushes with theirs.

                                            ****************************************

If you enjoy a romance with multi-faceted characters who get themselves into  humorous situations, along with an intriguing plot, BENEATH A MACON MOON is the story for you. 


Click on link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Beneath-Macon-Moon-Laurean-Brooks-ebook/dp/B00UZXUL88/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Beneath A Macon Moon by [Brooks, Laurean]
When Jaela Andrews learns distressing news, she packs her bags and heads to Macon. But if she thinks she will find solitude and a quiet place to rethink her life in the Victorian home, she is wrong. 

Enter Eric Larsen, the Handyman, who is renovating Jaela's refuge. Sparks fly over the noisy tools. And who could guess the hilarious situations they fall into? You will laugh, you will cry.

Can a rich girl fall find common ground with a simple carpenter? The chemistry and attraction are strong, but is their mutual love enough to make it work?


7 comments:

  1. Hello, Smart Girls Read Romance fans. I'm sorry I was late getting over here. It's been a sad day. We put our sweet Yellow Lab to rest under the Mimosa tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurean, I adored Clink Walker! I could sing his theme song by heart. Just a crazy kid in love with a hunk of a cowboy. So sorry to hear about your dog. It's tough. They become family members. I swore after our last dog that there would be no more animals since we travel. But I sure miss the companionship of a pet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also a fan of Clint Walker. So nice to know you and your sister had a good relationship. I always wanted a sister my age. Mine were half-sisters near my mom's age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Judy Ann. I appreciate the condolences. We will get another dog to replace him, as soon as we stop grieving. I don't remember Cheyenne having a theme song, Maybe I need to Google that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for stopping by, Caroline. Who could look at that hunk and NOT be smitten? I'm sorry you missed out on a sister near your age. Jewell and I played dress-up. We were dance hall girls, even had a dance act worked out. Lol. And we pretended to have a special cowboy who came in the dance hall to court us. In the end, they would always rescue us from that kind of life. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific post, I enjoyed reading it but gotta admit...cowboys did nothing for me. (Well, okay, I kinda sorta did like Trampus on The Virginian, LOL) For me, it was The Man from U.N.C.L.E. with Napoleon Solo...ooh la la, and I took turns drooling over Illya Kuryakin and his cool accent. :) But their intrigue and secret identities...ah, that captured my imagination and sense of adventure.

    Sigh. Can I return to those long ago days of carefree evenings spent in front of a black and white TV with a bowl of hot popcorn in my lap? Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss, Mae, thank you for dropping in. I kinda drooled over The Man from U.N.C.L.E. but sis drooled over Illya. She was always drawn to unique heroes. Even Mr. Spock on Star Trek.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!