Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Thursday, January 12, 2017

Newsletter Frequency by Paty Jager

This post is for readers. I've been involved in several promotional events the past year and the other participants have pushed the fact they believe an author should send a newsletter out a couple times a month, not just when they have a new release.

The content should be: Chatty, talk about life and the book they're working on or a special that is coming up.Or even information about a special deal or new book by a fellow author.

Is that what readers want? To get a couple of newsletters a month from an author?

It's more work for the author but if it's what you want, I'm willing to put out the extra newsletters. However, I like less in my inbox rather than more, so I've been dragging my feet at putting out multiple newsletters a month. I'm a firm believer in putting out a monthly newsletter, but no more than that.

I'd love to hear from readers not only do you want more than one newsletter a month, but what you would like to see in a newsletter.

Authors, how many newsletters a month do you put out and what do you put in them?

To sign up for my newsletter you can click my western newsletter or my mystery newsletter.  




Paty Jager is an award-winning author of 25+ novels and over a dozen novellas and short stories of murder mystery, western romance, and action adventure. She has a RomCon Reader’s Choice Award for her Action Adventure and received the EPPIE Award for Best Contemporary Western Romance and a RONE for her Murder Mystery. All her work has Western or Native American elements in them along with hints of humor and engaging characters. Paty and her husband raise alfalfa hay in rural eastern Oregon. Riding horses and battling rattlesnakes, she not only writes the western lifestyle, she lives it.
blog / websiteFacebook / Paty's Posse / Goodreads / Twitter / Pinterest

10 comments:

  1. Paty, I only send a newsletter when I have a new release. Like you, I find my inbox too full and don't want to be a pest to readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, It's good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't want to bother readers.

      Delete
  2. I only send out a newsletter when I have a new book although I have added when I have a sale. That means it's not once a month and it is only about the new book.

    As a reader, I do not sign up for any newsletters to avoid email overload. I doubt I'd read one if it came in and that's unfair to the writers to sign up for what I don't have time. I do though often check links when they are on Facebook or a blog but that's not in my mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain, That's my fear. That readers don't sign up because they don't want a inbox full of emails from me.

      Delete
  3. I subscribe to several authors newsletters and all of them are monthly. On occasion if they have a sale or a new book they will post another. I like when authors tells a little bit about there life, recipes, me books. I really enjoy seeing a glimpse of your ranch life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeannie, I do try to have more than, "Look I have a book out" in my newsletters. They are usually once a month because I try to have something happening in my writing career every month.

      Delete
  4. I have two emails I deal with, and I don't sign up for any newsletters since--on a daily basis--I may receive a hundred+ emails in each. I check what's happening with my fellow writers on their blogs, Facebook, twitter, yahoo groups, and other social media sites. It gets overwhelming at times. I would like to know how much a newsletter leads to real sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, According to the people who advocate for newsletters if you have your true fans and readers on the newsletter list you will have immediate buys. I agree though they have to be your fans. I have a list of 5000 most of whom were acquired during a contest to gather emails to send newsletters. They were readers of a particular genre and when I sent out the first newsletter about my newest release in that genre I didn't have a any more buys than normal with a new release. I did gather reviewers who came through with reviews.

      Delete
  5. I am planning a newsletter with my next release and will do them quarterly because I too get too many and I prefer less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See that's my feeling. I don't want to make people automatically delete the newsletter because they are sick of me.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!