Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Friday, February 19, 2016

Where Did You Get That Idea?

By Sandy Nachlinger

Like most authors, I’ve been asked where I come up with ideas for short stories and books. Here’s how I.O.U. SEX came to be.

IN THE BEGINNING . . .

Sandra Allen and I met at age 13 (back when the earth was still cooling) in Mr. Herman's homeroom class at L. V. Stockard Junior High, then continued together through Justin F. Kimball High School in Dallas, Texas. I’m Sandy; she’s Sandra. Over the years, we went to college, married, had careers, raised children, moved around the country, and retired. But we have always stayed in touch – always remained the best of friends. Through snail-mail letters and in-person visits, then through email, we’ve been an important part of each other’s daily lives for decades. Now one of us lives in Texas; the other, in Washington State.


CALL 911

A few years ago we got together in Texas on New Year's Eve. To escape the chaos of a daughter’s slumber party, we decided to go out to dinner and spend the night in a nearby hotel. The evening's entertainment? Reading my diary from our high school years. We laughed our way through the pages, reading the entries aloud to each other. Each memory made us laugh even harder.

Sandra said, “Call 911. I’m gonna die laughing.”
I said, “I’m about to pee my pants.”

WE OWE THEM SEX

Cruising the Dairy Queen, football games, pep rallies, and dates at drive-in movies – each diary entry brought back more memories of people and places. We were both good Southern girls from the Baby Boomer era – makeout sessions with our boyfriends went only so far before we called a halt. Terms like “making out” and “necking” described the limits of our exploits. While reading the diary, Sandra and I talked about our former steadies, speculated about what they’re doing these days, and joked about the sexual disappointment we surely caused them back then. We wondered how their lives turned out.

THE PLOT THICKENS

Both avid readers, we threw around the idea that a search for old boyfriends would make a good plot for a novel. The next day we continued our discussion, giving names to our characters, discussing plot, just teasing about actually writing a book together. The idea grew. Could we actually do it? I’d taken writing classes for years and had short stories published here and there, and Sandra was an English major and teacher, but the thought of writing a novel was daunting. Finally we decided - why not try? After my visit was over, I returned to the Pacific Northwest and started writing, and I roped Sandra into joining in.

Over the next few days, months, weeks, and years, we fleshed out our characters (Baby Boomers June, Peggy, and Kiki), added settings (North Dallas, Oak Cliff, a mythical Oklahoma town), and plot – with Sandra in Texas and me in Washington state. We communicated via email, sending chapters back and forth, and spent a lot of late nights on the phone, discussing ideas, changes, concerns about our growing creation. We laughed a lot and learned a lot along the way! And eventually we combined the stories of three women and created an actual book.


So you never know where an idea will come from. We both had a great time writing I.O.U. SEX and hope our readers have as much fun reading it as we did writing it. By the way, we never did track down our old boyfriends though we'll both admit to doing a little bit of sleuthing on the Internet.

FYI: I have since written a second book, Bluebonnets for Elly, set in North Texas. Unfortunately, my publisher went out of business, and I am in the process of re-releasing Bluebonnets for Elly. I’ll make a big announcement when it’s available.



15 comments:

  1. Sandy, I didn't know that's where you had the idea for I OWE U SEX. What a fun way to create a book--although co-writing is hard. Best wishes for success for this and BLUEBONNETS FOR ELLY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your well-wishes, Caroline. Yes, it was a challenge co-authoring a book, especially by long-distance. It took a long, long time and lots of negotiating. Our friendship survived, however.

      Delete
  2. What a fun post, and the book sounds like fun too. Did your BFF also turn out to be an author too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, she hasn't written anything else, but we keep talking about putting together another book. Maybe one of these days ...

      Delete
  3. Great article, Sandy. It always intrigues me where, when, and how we come up with plots, characters,and settings. Like Sandy, I have also co-authored books. Most important? Agree to work until both authors are satisfied. 'way to go, Sandy!
    Colleen L. Reece, 150+ "Books You Can Trust"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good advice, Colleen. Yes, it's definitely important to be sure both authors are pleased with the final result.

      Delete
  4. I loved reading about how that book came to fruition, and isn't it wonderful that we can send chapters back and forth via e-mail with modern technology? That's how I got some readers for my first books.

    I loved IOU Sex...and Bluebonnets for Elly. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great being able to share our writing back and forth. I'm not sure how we could have written the book otherwise.
      I'm glad you enjoyed I.O.U. Sex. I'm re-releasing Bluebonnets for Elly and hope to have it available soon.

      Delete
  5. I love the story of how your book came to be. AND I love the story I.O.U. Sex! Great job Sandy and Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it inspiring that you finished a book with a co-writer who lived in a different state. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Smart Girls Read Romance and leaving a comment. It's much appreciated!

      Delete
  7. I loved reading about Sandra Nachingler's journey to complete I Owe U Sex. Oh, those crazy, confusing teenage years played out years later. I've read the book. It's funny, real, and thoroughly entertaining. That book led me to read her next book Bluebonnets for Elly, a gentle romance. I can't wait for her next book! Sandy's a gifted author with an eye for rich detail. If you haven't read I Owe U Sex, do. I think you'll love it.
    Kelly Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the book so much and it was great fun heating how the idea came about. It worked! It was such a fun novel to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a big fan of I.O.U. Sex. In fact, I worked a reference to your book into a chapter in a current WIP. Two sisters with their cousin in their mid-50's "encouraging" the one who is just venturing out into dating. :D Loved hearing about how the idea was born.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!