Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The End of the Pier

I know I’m not the first author to say I am madly in love with my book cover. When I first received the print copy of Souls Set Free in the mail I squealed like a school girl being asked to her first dance! All I wanted to do was love on it, pet it, and stare at it for hours on end. 


 Yes, I was that floored. It was really happening. I was a published author with the cover to prove it.



On top of being beautiful and haunting (yes, I’m still enamored with it), the cover for Souls Set Free is near and dear to my heart for another reason. This book was my debut novel. It was a story that had been with me for a long time and needed to be written before I could move on with new projects.

Before I even had the majority of the words down, I knew what I wanted for the cover. It had to be a pier, and not just any one either. It HAD to be the Ventura Pier in California. 




You’ll find mention of it in my book. It was important for me to have it on the cover and no other pier would do. As a child, in the midst of whatever chaos might be taking place in my life, my mom would take me to the pier. We would walk all the way to the end and back. Off to the side in the sand was an old metal playground. I played on that thing for hours!


It wasn’t glamorous. There were a lot of homeless people, litter, and other stuff I was probably too young to know about. But in my life, at that moment with my mother, it couldn’t get any better. When reading Souls Set Free you’ll get a little more insight on that relationship.

As I drew closer to publication I went on the hunt for the perfect picture. I knew I wanted the pier with the water, but I didn’t want a beautiful sunset or blue skies. I didn’t want something that gave the illusion to everything being sunshine and roses, which this book definitely is not.

I was blessed with having the fabulous Author Options find my cover designer (as well as some other much needed assistance) and my jaw dropped when I saw the final product. It was perfect. The pier wrapped completely around the cover, yet faded into the background. The colors gave a sense of tribulation and distress.

It spoke to me in ways I could only hope and pray the words on the pages would for others. 


BUY LINK: Pick up your copy of Souls Set Free here: Souls Set Free on Amazon

If you give it a read, I’d love to hear your thoughts on both the book and the cover. I love to chat with readers!

Happy Reading, 
Kimmie


4 comments:

  1. It's a perfect picture. it's catchy, a bit haunting, and it fits with the title. I admit when I first saw it with the title, i wanted the book without have even reading the blurb. It just...stayed with me in my head. I'm a cover addict, but covers mean even more when they play an integral part in the storyline, and yours definitely does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree, the title and cover combo is always what draws me in first. I always have my title and cover idea before I even start writing.

      Thanks, Nikki! :)


      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your first book! That is a haunting cover. And that it has special meaning in so many ways kudos to you for wanting it and the cover artist for making it happen. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paty! It's still so surreal to see it come to life. :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!